- Roy DeShane Elementary
Important Info for Roy DeShane Parents - 12/13/18
December 13, 2018
Dear Parents and Guardians:
The purpose of this letter is not to alarm you but to inform you of a situation that occurred today at Roy DeShane School.
Today we received a report that a student made threatening statements to classmates with classroom scissors on the playground during recess. Immediately upon learning this, Roy DeShane administrators thoroughly investigated the situation. We found that while the student did have possession of classroom scissors, no threats were made. Another student admitted to initiating a rumor about threats being made. At no time was there a threat to student safety.
The safety of all of those within our building will always be our utmost priority. Please know:
- We will always take the potential presence of a threat to our community immensely seriously, regardless of the specific circumstances.
- Our expectation is for students to be truthful in reporting and sharing safety concerns.
- Our expectation is for students to keep classroom instruments within the classroom, especially those that could be considered a danger to others when taken out of the context of the classroom.
- Students found making threats or violating any of these expectations will receive appropriate consequences.
Please use this as an opportunity to reinforce the following safety tips with your child:
- Threats to the safety of any person or persons are dangerous and are not jokes. The presence of such threats will be taken seriously and will not be tolerated.
- Unsubstantiated rumors surrounding student safety have the potential to compromise the safety of all students.
- A student should inform an adult, either in person or through our SafeSchools Alert safety tip reporting system, if he or she becomes aware of any type of threat or unsafe circumstance. More information on SafeSchools Alert can be found at www.ccsd93.com/roydeshane.
- A student should seek help immediately from an adult, or call 9-1-1, if he or she senses any type of dangerous situation.
We will continue to do everything in our power to further develop and maintain a culture of safety at Roy DeShane School. I appreciate your continued support as we seek to maintain the safest learning environment possible for our students and staff members. If you have questions about the contents of this letter, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-588-6300.
Pete La Chance
Roy DeShane School