- Families are the primary caregivers and educators of young children.
- Family support and communication are integral to the growth and development of young children.
- Young children are capable and competent.
- Young children learn through active exploration of their environment and through child-initiated and teacher-selected activities.
- Individual differences in rates of development among young children exist.
- Young children will exhibit a range of skills and competencies in any developmental area.
- Knowledge of child growth and development, cultural diversity, and consistent expectations are essential to maximize educational experiences for young children and for program development and implementation.
- Well-rounded children are encouraged to develop in all areas including cognition, physical and social development, and communication.