Community Consolidated School District 93 was organized in 1920, when rural School Districts 17, 18, and 19 were combined.
The new district was commonly referred to as Cloverdale District. At the time there was one school with one room that was located just south of the building formerly used as the District Office on Old Gary Avenue. This school served the district until a new one was built in 1957. The new Cloverdale school had three classrooms and a full basement.
In 1959, however, only grades six, seven and eight were housed there with the library and gym in the basement area. The building has also been a fifth grade center with all fifth grade students being bussed there. Again, the basement served as the gym. For a time, the brick building served as the student facility for the Cooperative Association for Special Education (C.A.S.E.) program. At one point, the building became a kindergarten center for many of the District's kindergarten students when other buildings became overcrowded.
District 93's population began to increase rapidly in the late 1950's as the new village of Carol Stream developed. Elsie C. Johnson, Ed.D. became the first full-time Superintendent of School in 1959. She served in that role until June 30, 1982.
Carol Stream School, consisting of four classrooms, opened on September 3, 1959. Additions were added to this school in 1960, 1962 and in 1978 the gym was enlarged. Its 1989 addition consisted of a new learning center and school office area. The previous learning center and offices were converted to four classrooms.
The community of Carol Stream grew rapidly. Roy DeShane School (originally named Jay Stream School) was opened in 1964. In 1965, the east classroom wing was added and in 1989, a new learning center was constructed. The previous learning center was converted to four classrooms. In 1991, the school offices were remodeled for more efficient use of space and a main entry vestibule was added.
As the Carol Stream community continued to grow, the first pod of Jay Stream School (originally Roy DeShane School) was opened in 1968. The second pod opened in 1969. This building originally housed students in kindergarten through grade four. In 1973, the name change took place and a major addition was opened. A learning center joined the two pods together, while a gym, office area, science labs, home economics area, art room, industrial arts, lunchroom, etc. made up the rest of this addition. In 1974, Jay Stream School became the junior high school. All of the district's sixth, seventh and eighth grade students were housed in this building. All kindergarten through grade five students attended either Carol Stream or Roy DeShane schools.
Cloverdale School (1957) became the District Office in 1979. In 1986, the basement was converted to office space for several District 93 Administrators and their secretaries. With this renovation, the district was able to bring its Special Services personnel to a central location for the first time.
In 1980, six classrooms and a new lunchroom were added to the west end of Jay Stream School and in 1991, a second gym, as well as sixteen classrooms, were added at the far east side of the school. The 1980 lunchroom was divided to yield two classrooms. The original lunchroom was remodeled to handle the larger capacity as part of the 1991 addition.
The population from Bloomingdale, Carol Stream and the newer section of Hanover Park continued to increase but bonding power did not increase as quickly as the population. It was necessary for the district to find other ways to house students on a short-term basis until schools could be built within district boundaries. Roy Spalding School in Glen Ellyn was leased in 1979.
Western Trails Elementary School opened in October of 1979, a few months behind schedule. For two months, the district was on split shifts--one attendance population using Roy DeShane in the morning and another in the afternoon. Continued growth dictated the need to continue utilizing Spalding School to house students who were bussed from the northern part of the District. It was apparent that another school was needed and Elsie Johnson Elementary School opened in the fall of 1982. In 1989, six additional classrooms were constructed on the west side of the school.
John DiBuono became Superintendent of Schools on July 1, 1982 and served the district until June 30, 1996.
In 1985, while other districts were struggling with declining enrollment, District 93 was forced to find additional space. After months of study and searching for an adequate building, the Board entered into a rental agreement with District 54 in Schaumburg to lease Everett Dirksen School. Beginning in the fall of 1985, the district began bussing about five hundred fifth and sixth grade students to the school. In 1986, a referendum was passed for a new junior high school. It opened in 1988 as Stratford Junior High School. Jay Stream School became a fifth and sixth grade building at this time. For three years the district's fifth and sixth grade students had been bussed to Dirksen School.
The need for additional educational space led to the construction of Heritage Lakes Elementary School. It opened in the fall of 1990.
An addition of fourteen classrooms was built onto Stratford Junior High School in 1992.
In 1996, an addition of nine classrooms was added to Western Trails School. At that time, the learning center was remodeled, enclosed and air-conditioned. It was also on July 1, 1996 that Henry A. (Hank) Gmitro became Superintendent of Schools.
In 1997, portable classrooms were added at Elsie Johnson, Heritage Lakes and Carol Stream Schools. This temporary solution enabled the district to meet enrollment needs. In March of 1998 the community approved a bond referendum to build a new school and renovate existing schools, all at the same time. The expected completion of this major project was August, 2000.
In the fall of 2000, the eight "new" schools welcomed 5,111 students to the new school year. All the buildings were ready on time and under budget. Budgeted at 21,629,341 dollars, the entire project was completed for 20,698,142 dollars. Cloverdale School was dedicated that fall. The district configuration determined in 2000 continues to serve students in grades kindergarten through five in six elementary buildings. Sixth, seventh and eighth grade students were housed in the District's two middle schools, Jay Stream and Stratford. Sixth day enrollment in September, 2000 was 5,111 students.
The 2000 renovations were comprehensive. Carol Stream, the district's oldest school, was updated with two new classrooms and revamped spaces for technology, music, and special education. In addition, office and storage spaces were renovated. Roy DeShane School added additional parking and an off-street bus zone. Four new classrooms and updated technology, music, and special education rooms were also added. The school's office area and entrance were completely remodeled.
At Heritage Lakes School a new multipurpose room, as well as music and special education rooms, were added. Office and storage space were added and the technology room, updated.
In addition to physical school renovations, the Magnet program was initiated for those fourth and fifth graders meeting the eligibility requirements. This program is the third level of three levels of the gifted program in the district.
Jay Stream School was remodeled to accommodate its new identity as a middle school. The Learning Center and office space were enlarged. Four science labs, an industrial technology lab, two music rooms, an art room, a home arts room and locker room were also added. Along with Stratford Middle School, where sixth grade classroom remodeling took place, the two facilities began serving students in grades 6-8.
In the fall of 2001, District 93 launched its Community Preschool. The early childhood program, designed for three and four year old children, was housed at Western Trails School. The fee based program continues to grow and is now housed at two schools.
Across the district, school kitchen facilities were updated to support the new hot lunch program begun in January of 2001. The central kitchen facility, which provides hot lunches for the entire district, was housed at Cloverdale School. In addition, air conditioning was installed in all buildings to provide improved learning environments during extremely warm weather.
In December of 2001, the Board of Education approved the purchase of the office/warehouse building located at 230 Covington Drive in Bloomingdale. Central administration and the district warehouse relocated to the new site in October of 2002. This move allowed for the centralization of services once again in the district. Prior to the move, some central office departments and individuals were housed in various locations across the District.
In April of 2004, District 93 went to the voters with the request to approve an increase in the Education Fund rate. The 93 cent measure passed and is currently being implemented in a stepped process over a five year period. Student enrollment in June of 2004 was 4882.
District 93 began offering a full day kindergarten option beginning in the fall of 2005.